Easter has arrived: hot cross buns, chocolate, coffee – everything you could ever need in one dish. Let us know how you go with this coffee Easter recipe.
Coffee Easter Recipe
- Karvan Blend #4 coffee beans – 6 espresso shots (maybe another couple for yourself to drink too ;))
- 6 Hot Cross Buns – we recommend ordering North Street Store‘s unbelievable freshly baked hot cross buns
- Butter (we go for salted because there’s no such thing as too much salt…right?)
- 1 block (180g) of your favourite dark chocolate – roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of S.O. hot chocolate powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- 480ml of cream
- 600ml of thickened cream
- Zest of 1 orange (and 1/2 of its juice)
- 4 eggs
- 170grams of caster sugar
- Layout all of the ingredients – and lets get into this!
- Slice the hot cross buns in half and butter the top and bottom. Lay the bottoms in the dish with their buttered side facing up.
- Sprinkle most of the chopped chocolate on top.
- Add the teaspoon of S.O. chocolate powder.
- Pour the vanilla, cream, thickened cream, Karvan espresso shots and orange zest and half of its juice into a saucepan.
- Cook over the stove on a low heat.
- Let all of the ingredients come to a simmer.
- Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until just combined.
- Then pour the butter and sugar liquid into the warm cream. Stir continuously.
- Now you have made your coffee custard! (Yumo!)
- Pour 1/4 of custard over the bottom layer of the hot cross buns.
- Put the bun lids on top.
- Pour the rest of the custard over your hot cross bun pudding.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate on top.
- Let the dish sit for 30 mins in room temperature letting it absorb the coffee custard.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Before putting in the oven, place the pudding dish in a large roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the hot cross bun pudding dish.
- Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Once cooked, decorate with Easter eggs, chocolate or icing sugar.
- Prepare yourself a coffee.
- Eat up and enjoy this recipe paired with your favourite Karvan coffee.